29.7.09

Bon Jovi - Giants Stadium, East Rutherford, NJ, USA - 29.7.2006

I wondered why today I had a burning desire to listen to some Bon Jovi, after what must be months since I've put them on. I finally realized, it's been 3 years since one of the greatest shows of my life.

It's funny how these things happen, how you go into it blind and know you've hit it lucky. When tickets went on sale to this show, I didn't buy any, as I couldn't afford them. I sat there on Ticketmaster, watching good seats pass through my hands, and having to let them go. As time went on, I knew it was the last night of the tour, and something just screamed at me to go. When I found a fan selling a pair of 15th row floor seats at face value, I still couldn't afford them, but I emptied my rainy day fund anyways. At that moment in my life, I needed it. It turned out to be one of those things that all odds were against me doing, and yet I overcame.

bon jovi,29 july 2006



The Yards, winners of the tour-long "Have A Nice Gig" contest, opened the show. I don't remember much about them, besides the fact the crowd was kind of dead. I imagine they were just happy for the exposure.

29 july 2006,the yards



Next up, was Nickelback. They opened with Animals, their only song I give a damn about. I was surprised, actually. What a ballsy move to open your set with a song about a guy getting head while he drives, I thought. Turns out, it went on to be a single. I guess that's just how they roll. I obviously didn't know enough about Nickelback to know this. Overall, I thought they were too arrogant, and that almost all their songs sound the same. They're a little too "hard" and not "heavy" enough for me. The crowd's reception of them was mixed, which they didn't seem to appreciate. I remember one of them saying that next time, everyone would be in that stadium to see THEM open up. Uhhuh.

29 july 2006,nickelback



Seeing a band play their home town is always the best. Last nights of the tour are also either epic, or tragic. In this case, they were still running on the ultimate high. They played until nearly midnight, almost 3 hours. The setlist was 25 songs long, 8 in the encore alone.

Photobucket
Photobucket

Come to think of it, until about the 10th song, I was pretty disappointed and worried. It was a very standard setlist. Yeah, the crowd was great, and it was a high energy show, but they weren't playing anything special. When Jon came down the catwalk, barely a foot from me, I wouldn't even touch his outstretched hand, despite practically being thrown at him by the broad beside me. I was pouting.

Photobucket

Then they did Wildflower. I hadn't been checking setlists, so I didn't know it had already made a few appearances, but still a rare one. Hopes were up. Everything after that, was wham after wham. During Undivided, I watched the planes flying overhead, and realized just how close we were to where 9/11 took place (the subject of the song). Then they ended with Livin' On A Prayer, but we all knew it wasn't over.

Photobucket
Photobucket

The first song of the encore was I Am, my favorite song on the current album. The one that had never been played live before (nor since), that I never thought would be. Jon had lived up to his promise to play every song on 'Have A Nice Day' live. For once, he didn't let us down. I felt like I could die happy at that moment, everything after that was icing and cherries. They went on to do Blood On Blood, These Days (one of my favorite songs by any band), Wild Is The Wind, and I'd Die For You. The show ended with Wanted Dead Or Alive, and almost all save one song I had ever placed on my "Jovi setlist wish list" had just been ticked off. I was in shock, I was happy, I felt so lucky to have been able to experience this show. It was on par with what people travel to Japan or the UK/Europe to see them play, and I got it, 5 hours from home, with a little good luck and guesswork. Amazing.

Photobucket
Photobucket
(Please ignore the fact I look mad/exhausted in these...)

In reflection on all this, I wonder what happened to the band. I wonder why they had to go make country music, why they went back to terrible setlists, why they aren't closing out Giants Stadium and Springsteen is instead. I wonder what happened to my enthusiasm for big songs, big crowds, big bands. My ability to ignore the wank that always seems to follow. My dream to follow them around the world. I wish I could rediscover my love for Jovi. I wish I hadn't let others ruin it for me. They have a new album coming out soon, who knows what might happen. I have no expectations.

No comments:

Post a Comment